Based on a survey of participating 10% Challenge members last fall, the Monadnock Sustainability Network (MSN), in collaboration with the City of Keene, is unveiling the Business Energy Efficiency Rally (BEER). The new initiative will focus on showcasing success stories and lessons learned regarding energy efficiency and savings from businesses.
According to a recent survey by MIT Sloan Management Review on companies around the globe, 70% of companies have placed sustainability permanently on their management agendas. Businesses that focus on energy efficiency and sustainability not only save money, but reap a host of other benefits as well. Case studies have shown advantages such as improved company or brand image, improved employee satisfaction and retention, market innovation, effective risk management, enhanced stakeholder relations, and new sources of revenue.
In fact, a study by consulting firm A.T. Kearney concludes, “Sustainability-focused companies outperform their peers”. The study found that companies committed to corporate sustainability practices achieved above average performance in the financial markets during the financial crisis of 2008.
The mission of MSN is to encourage sustainable living practices and resource conservation in the Monadnock region. One MSN task is to facilitate the implementation of the Monadnock Sustainability Plan. The Plan was developed to guide businesses, municipalities, and residents to reduce energy, protect our health, and create vibrant local economies in the region. BEER is focused toward implementing the priority business recommendations of the Plan.
BEER, formerly the 10% Challenge, will focus on best practices, peer to peer sharing, eliminating barriers to action, and creating regional solutions to energy savings and efficiencies. MSN has been working on the following activities:
• Evaluation of other successful business programs throughout the nation;
• Survey of existing 10% Challenge members to gauge insight on their current needs;
• Rebranding of the challenge to reinvigorate regional membership; participation in BEER – Business Energy Efficiency Rally
• Collaborating with the Keene Chamber of Commerce on monthly articles in their
• Regional convening of businesses to share best practices to be held on March 8, 2013
• Collaboration with New Hampshire Businesses for Social Responsibility (NHBSR)